Our History, Mission, and Goals
Friends of the Animals Foundation is a small all-volunteer organization devoted to cat rescue, foster care, and adoption. We humanely trap feral cats, spay or neuter (S/N) them, and then return them to where they were trapped; or foster, socialize, and put them up for adoption. This is a process called trap-neuter-return (TNR) and is considered one of the most humane methods of managing feral cats.
Since FAF began in 1997, we have placed over 6,000 cats and kittens into safe and loving homes.
Our mission is to foster greater compassion for animals by example and through education.
Our primary goals are:
1) To reduce the number of animals abandoned, homeless, or killed until they all have a loving forever home.
2) To educate the community by providing information concerning
• The right of animals to a life free of abuse or neglect
• The resources that are available to those with a limited income
• Volunteer opportunities to rescue, care for, and foster pets
• The sad realities of failing to spay/neuter pets, and the plight of shelters
• The steps to take BEFORE bringing a pet into your life
Volunteers Make Us Who We Are
We are so very grateful to our volunteers that make our work possible!
Those that foster and socialize our rescues so that they become wonderful adoptable companions to our community, along with those that clean the cages at our adoption sites and help with adoption events.
The ones that have donated liability insurance for our adoption location at Petco-West Seattle, and who maintain our website and work on making our little organization visible. Others that donate food and supplies so we can help caregivers watching over neighborhood/stray/feral cats and assisting us with TNR...so many to be so thankful for.
Also, Petco and Mud Bay for helping us facilitate adoption events. All of these allow this little organization to have a BIG impact, and for that we are grateful!!
What We’ve Accomplished
For details of all we've accomplished over the last 10+ years, see the Accomplishments page
What Others Say About Us
“Friends of the Animals Foundation is an all-volunteer organization based in West Seattle and devoted to cat rescue and foster care. A small organization with a big heart they have taken on some large projects:
• The rescue of cats abandoned after the closing down of the Highline Housing Project (you have no idea how many cats that is, and all trapped behind chain link fencing with no access to food or water)
• The 15 outdoor cats left with no one to care for their needs when the kind person who had been feeding them was permanently hospitalized
• Rescue then also entailed medical care for the cats that survived the attack of a neighbor's dog (the shelter and the plight of these cats were featured on local news)
A high level of care such as this is not inexpensive, so please support this very fine local rescue organization. Your financial contribution is important to the care of these cats.” ~ Reiki & Shamanic Healing
You can also read reviews from families that have adopted from us and volunteers at Great NonProfits
GuideStar and Great Nonprofits
GuideStar is the world's largest source of information on nonprofit organizations, a site that "provides information that advances transparency, enables users to make better decisions, and encourages charitable giving." FAF is a Bronze Participant.
Got a non-profit you want info on? Check out this website! 'Like' us? How about writing a review…they encourage reviews from Volunteers, Clients (Adopters), Experts, the Public, Board Members, Donors, Advisors. If you fall into one of those categories—Public is a pretty broad category, so I'm sure you at least fall into that one—how about writing a review. Reviews from this site also link up (cross-post) to Great Nonprofits...
We have been honored to make the Great Nonprofits Top-Rated list every year since first applying in 2013, thanks to YOUR reviews! PLEASE keep those reviews coming!
Why Write a Review? Winning nonprofits get added to the GreatNonprofits Top-Rated List, distributed to media and corporate foundations nation-wide. Getting our name out there and getting noticed! Getting noticed can get us the visibility and donations we need to continue what we do...we've got LOTS of hungry little mouths to feed, and can always use donations for vet expenses, medical and misc supplies, not to mention fuel costs for the trips to Feral Cat Spay/Neuter Project in Lynnwood.
In General, having reviews on these sites can:
• Boost trust and confidence in our nonprofit. Donors, volunteers, and foundations use GreatNonprofits every day to find, review, and discuss nonprofits.
• Increase our visibility to donors. 84% of donors consider reading reviews helpful when deciding whether or not to make a donation. GreatNonprofits helps us easily broadcast our mission, showcase our effectiveness and highlight the meaningful experiences of our clients, volunteers, and donors.
• Gain valuable feedback to improve your programs. Our clients, volunteers, and donors can provide us with useful insights about their experience with our programs.
So PLEASE. Take a moment to write a review and pass this on to anyone that has adopted and ask them to do the same. We appreciate your help in spreading the word!
And here are some "Tips for Writing Reviews"
501c3 non-profit organization
Friends of the Animals Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible as allowed by law. Tax ID: 91-1853116